Dutertenomics: Sustaining the  Economic Gains
Manila Standard Job Openings

SMC eyes new Naia runway

Conglomerate San Miguel Corp. will submit to the next administration a proposal to build a P50-billion new runway and airport terminal in the existing Ninoy Aquino International Airport complex in Parañaque City.

San Miguel president and chief operating officer Ramon Ang said in an interview following the listing of the company’s P33.5-billion preferred shares at the Philippine Stock Exchange the company would propose to construct a runway and airport terminal with 20 air bridges that  would cater to low-cost airlines.

“I will propose this as an unsolicited project to the next government,” Ang said.

He said the new runway would be built beside the existing main runway. The proposal would also involve the construction of a low-cost airport terminal near the new runway.

Ang said the whole project, including the new runway, the airport terminal and acquisition of right of way, would cost P50 billion.

“Ideally the new runway should have the same length as the old one which is 3,400 square meters by 45 meters width,” Ang said.

Naia currently only has two runways, one for international flights and another for domestic flights.

Ang said the construction of a third runway and the airport terminal may cost only about P7 billion, but the biggest component of the project is the right-of-way acquisition.

He said only 60 percent of the land needed to build the project was empty while the remaining 40 percent was owned by private companies, including the Shoemart warehouse.

The project will provide Naia with another 50 takeoffs and landings per hour.

The existing runways can handle 42 takeoffs and landings an hour.

The proposed low-cost terminal is expected to handle 50 million passengers a year.

Ang said even with the construction of a third runway and a low-cost terminal, the government should still build a new airport terminal.

San Miguel submitted proposal last year to build a $10-billion modern international airport in a 1,600-hectare reclamation area in Manila Bay .

The planned airport project will have four runways capable of handling 150 million passengers annually and can accommodate 250 takeoffs and landings per hour.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.