Typhoon Tino wont hit land

posted October 15, 2013 at 12:02 am
by The Standard
Even as Luzon has yet to recover from the devastation wrought by Typhoon Santi, another typhoon (international name Wipha), has entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Monday, weather experts said. Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration forecaster Fernando Cada said that as of 4 p.m. Monday, Wipha, which had been renamed Tino as it entered PAR, was located 1,190 km Northeast of Basco, Batanes with maximum sustained winds of 160 kph and gustiness of up to 190 kph. It is forecast to move North Northwest at 20 kph. But Cada noted that Tino will only stay briefly in PAR and is not expected to hit land. Cada said moderate to strong winds blowing from the southwest to south will prevail over Luzon and coming from the southwest to west over the rest of the country. The coastal waters throughout the archipelago will be moderate to rough. Meanwhile, officials said Santi has destroyed P2,933,072,890 worth of agricultural crops. National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario said the data was only from Aurora and Nueva Ecija. But the Agriculture Department reported that that total production loss in the rice sector brought by the typhoon already reached P2 billion. Agriculture Undersecretary for Field Operations and National Rice Program Coordinator Dante Delima said that preliminary reports from Local Government Units showed that rice areas affected by typhoon Santi already climbed to 248 thousand hectares. Total production loss was at 133 thousand metric tons for rice with a total value of P2 billion, he added. Delima said that they are currently updating and validating the typhoon damage on other agricultural commodities. Meanwhile, a total of 13 persons were confirmed dead, seven still missing, including three three fishermen from Viga, Catanduanes, ne from Roxas, Oriental Mindoro and three from Kabugao, Apayao. The NDRRMC added that 44,151 houses were destroyed in Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Bulacan, Aurora, Pampanga, Pangasinan and Nueva Vizcaya. A total of 747,353 people or 154,766 families were affected, with 6,561 individuals still staying in evacuation centers. In Nueva Ecija, disaster units and local officials had begun a clean-up of roads which were rendered impassable due to fallen trees and landslides. Also destroyed were tons of ready-to-harvest-palays and other agricultural crops in the rice-producing provinces of Nueva Ecija, Bulacan, Tarlac, Pampanga and Aurora. Dr. Abraham Pascua, chairman of the Provincial Risk Reduction and Management Council said practically all 27 towns and five cities in the province were affected by strong winds and heavy rains. A separate report from the National Risk Reduction and Management Council said 15 towns and two cities in the province were flooded. In Aurora, the entire province suffered a power outage as the typhoon cut off power in all the eight municipalities. Meanwhile, Office of the Civil Defense III director Josefina Timoteo said that they are working closely with the military, particularly the Army and the Air Force, to speed up relief and rehabilitation efforts. He said that Region III was the worst hit, after Santi made landfall in Aurora and moved towards Nueva Ecija, Tarlac and Bulacan, which resulted in flooding for as high as three meters. In Bulacan 10,000 hectares of the provinces ricelands were totally damaged. Tarlac farms also sustained damage particularly in towns along the stretch of McArthur Highway. Tons of harvestable rice were also damaged in Zambales and Bataan, which were inundated by three to four feet of flood waters. Meanwhile, a 65-year-old Muslim woman died inside one of the classrooms of a school serving as evacuation center in Zamboanga City. The Zamboanga City police identified the victim as Jahala Arajae y Bugay, a resident of Sitio Lupa-Lupa, Barangay Rio Hondo, one of six barangays affected by intense fighting between government forces and loyalists of Nur Misuari of the Moro National Liberation Front.With PNA    
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.