60,000 foreigners face ouster — Mison
More than 60,000 foreigners in the country may be considered illegal aliens and face possible deportation should they fail to take part in the Bureau of Immigration’s Alien Registration Program which will end on Sept. 30, 2015.
The ARP program, which started Oct. 1 last year, processed only 460 foreign nationals who have overstayed or have incomplete papers.
The foreign nationals were given a 90-day deferred administrative action to allow them to comply with requirements set by the BI.
“This one-year assistance to foreign nationals allowed us to assist those with improper immigration documents to regularize their stay in the Philippines,” Immigration Commissioner Siegfred Mison said.
Most of the foreign nationals who availed of the program have been previously victimized by fixers and have families in the Philippines.
One applicant who have overstayed for 18 years was allowed to regularize his stay without being blacklisted.
Mison warned that the BI will no longer extend the same level of leniency to erring foreign nationals after the end of the ARP period.
“Thus, any foreign national who is found to have violated the immigration laws shall immediately be deported,” Mison said.