Binay slams Aquino over 1.5-m new unemployed
THE camp of Vice President Jejomar Binay on Sunday taunted the Aquino administration after the pollster Social Weather Stations on Friday said 1.5 million more Filipinos joined the ranks of the unemployed.
Binay spokesman Rico Quicho said the vice president, unlike President Benigno Aquino III, had been more successful in combating unemployment and underemployment when he was mayor of Makati.
He said Binay planned to use the Makati model—the Dual Training System in the University of Makati—on the national level to help employ more people and create a stronger economy.
“Students are equipped with a set of skills that companies need. Over 90 percent of the graduates are hired within three months of graduation,” Quicho said.
“This contributes to the workforce, and a strengthened workforce in turn contributes to creating a strong economy.”
Quicho said it was alarming to know there were now 10.5 million jobless Filipinos, a 1.5-million increase in the number of unemployed three months ago based on the recent SWS figures.
The Philippine Statistics Authority, in its July Labor Force Survey, said 8.32 million Filipinos were underemployed and 2.72 million were unemployed.
Economic Planning Secretary Arsenio Balisacan said the rise in underemployment for the period was driven by full-time workers who still wanted additional hours of work.