Pangilinan quits as food adviser
PRESIDENTIAL Assistant for Food Security and Agricultural Modernization Francis Pangilinan, who plans to run for the Senate in 2016, has resigned from the Cabinet, according to the Office of the Executive Secretary.
Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Pangilinan’s resignation had been accepted by President Benigno Aquino III and that it would take effect on Sept. 30 this year.
“The President expressed his sincerest appreciation to Secretary Pangilinan for his contribution to the government and wished him the best in his future endeavors,” Coloma said.
Pangilinan said he will make his official announcement regarding his future plans in due time.
“I submitted my letter of resignation last week effective September 30,” Pangilinan said in a text message.
“I met with the President two weeks ago to relay to him this decision for his consideration.”
Coloma said there was still no information as to who would replace Pangilinan, while Deputy Presidential Spokeswoman Abigail Valte said Pangilinan will seek another term in the Senate.
Coloma allayed fears that the mitigation program against El Niño would be affected by Pangilinan’s resignation.
Pangilinan was sworn into office on May 6, 2014. He was a senator from 2001 to 2013 and served as Senate majority leader from 2004 to 2008.
His resignation followed that of Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo who quit to return to the private sector.
Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II also resigned his post recently to run as the Liberal Party’s presidential candidate next year.