Cayetano: I’m ready to go solo
SENATE Majority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano said Wednesday he was ready to “go solo” as an independent candidate if Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte would not run for President or would not choose him as his running mate.
He told dzRH radio he would push through his plan to seek higher office regardless of Duterte’s decision.
Cayetano, a member of the Nacionalista Party, on Tuesday announced in Davao City that he would be running for vice president in next year’s elections.
He related meeting with Duterte for four hours that ended at 1 a.m. on Wednesday but no decision was reached.
“You know, we had a little social meeting and half of the time, we were just talking about peace and order,” Cayetano said.
“We also touched on a possible run in 2016, but nothing final because we did not want to pressure him into deciding as he had already expressed his concerns.
“Besides, the presidency is not coveted—it’s destiny. But he’s conscious that the filing of the Certificate of Candidacy is from October 12 to 16, so I’m confident that in a few days he’ll make the right decision not only for himself but for the country.”
In another interview, and this time with dzMM, Cayetano said he could feel Duterte thinking that the next generation needed a real leader.
“All the problems that we told him, he gave us good solutions. I could tell he would be running,” said Cayetano who was with his sister, Senator Pia Cayetano, in the meeting with Duterte.
He said they shared the same core values, being both a supporter of federalism and “real change.”
Cayetano also confirmed he had a “private discussion” with President Benigno Aquino III last Wednesday.
“It was mostly a private discussion. We decided that we were against corruption,” Cayetano said.
“We talked about the BBL [Bangsamoro Basic Law] and I respected his stand and he respected my stand.”
Cayetano will be running against his party mates Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.