Foreigners’ kidnappers arrested
TWO of the kidnappers who snatched two Canadians, a Norwegian and a Filipina in Samal Island on Sept. 21 have been arrested, 15 days after the incident.
The arrest of the two suspected kidnappers was disclosed by Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, but no other details were available except that police arrested them Sunday evening.
News of the arrests came after PNP Chief Ricardo Marquez disclosed the identity of some of the suspects Saturday.
Marquez said the suspects were identified by witnesses who tagged them from a gallery of suspects at the PNP central station in Davao City.
Marquez also said that the production of a digital composite sketch derived from the CCTV was instrumental in identifying the suspects.
But Marquez decided not to reveal the suspects identities so as not to prejudice the manhunt against the kidnap group.
Reports said members of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group based in Davao City were responsible for the arrest of the suspects.
Kjartan Sekkingstad, Norwegian, and operations manager of the resort; Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall and his Filipino girlfriend only known as Maritess Flor were snatched 11:30 p.m. at the Ocean View Hotel Resort in Samal Island in Davao City.
CIDG officials in Davao City and even at its central office in Camp Crame declined to provide specific information as to the identities of the suspects and the area where they were cornered.
At present, CIDG investigators are interrogating the two suspects.
Initial reports in Davao City said the two were part of the main group of armed men who pulled off the kidnapping then transferred their captives to theAbu Sayyaf Group in Sulu.
Police are pursuing the other gang members.
Last week, the Moro National Liberation Front said the kidnap victims were sighted along the boundary of Parang and Indanan, Sulu, barely days after the incident and were now with the ASG bandits.
On Sunday, combined security forces in Sulu launched an attack on an ASG hideout.
Col. Alan Arrojado, commander of the AFP’s Joint Task Force Sulu said that two ASG members were wounded while troops suffered no casualty in a 15-minutes battle against 20 ASG members.
Also on Tuesday, the Department of Interior and Local Government yesterday urged the public to cooperate with the PNP’s campaign against private armed groups.
DILG Secretary Mel Sarmiento made the call in anticipation of the filing of certificates of candidacy for next year’s elections.