1,400 rogue cops charged since last year—Albayalde
National Capital Region Police Office Director Oscar Albayalde said on Wednesday that around 1,400 policemen in Metro Manila who were linked to criminal activities such as kidnapping and extortion had been charged since the start of the Duterte administration in July last year.
Albayalde said the legal proceedings are part of ongoing efforts to rid the force of erring policemen.
“Ito ang patuloy nating ginagawa kaya hindi po tayo titigil hanggang sa maging malinis ang aming hanay dito,” [This will continue and we will not stop until we cleanse our ranks.] Albayalde said in a television interview.
“Sa ating mga kababayan, wag po tayong mabahala, wag po tayong matakot at hindi kailanman ito-tolerate ng ating liderato sa PNP yung anumang pang-aabuso, kung meron talagang pang-aabuso na ginagawa ng ating kapulisan,” [To our countrymen, don’t be worried, have no fear because the PNP leadership will not tolerate abuse, if there is such abuse.] he said.
The police was again put into spotlight following the death of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos in a purported shootout. Police accused Delos Santos of being a drug courier, a charge his family denied.
Witnesses said policemen blindfold and beat up the teenager before the shooting.
Albayalde said the police force condoles with Delos Santos’ family and added that the President himself would not tolerate police misconduct.
Albayalde said since they started the campaign against illegal drugs in July last year, 1,400 civilians have died during police operations, but 28,000 have been arrested.
He added that in NCRPO alone, more than 20 police officers have died during anti-drug operations and 60 others were wounded.