Dutertenomics: Sustaining the  Economic Gains
Manila Standard Job Openings

Boko Haram uprooted 500,000 children — UN

LAGOS—Some 500,000 children have been forced to flee Boko Haram militants in the last five months after an upsurge in attacks in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger, the UN children’s agency said on Friday.

The additional numbers of children made homeless has taken the total number of youngsters in the Lake Chad region who have been forced to flee to 1.4 million, Unicef said in a statement.

Nigeria was the worst affected, with nearly 1.2 million children more than half of them under five uprooted by the Islamist insurgency, which is concentrated in the country’s remote northeast.

Some 265,000 other children have been affected in neighboring Cameroon, Chad and Niger, which Boko Haram has increasingly targeted after they joined Nigeria’s military in a regional counter-offensive.

“Each of these children running for their lives is a childhood cut short,” said Unicef’s regional director for West and Central Africa, Manuel Fontaine.

“It’s truly alarming to see that children and women continue to be killed, abducted and used to carry bombs.”

Boko Haram has been fighting to establish a hard-line Islamic state in northeast Nigeria since 2009. 

At least 15,000 people have been killed since then, some 1,100 of them in a wave of suicide bombings, deadly raids and bomb attacks since Muhammadu Buhari became Nigerian president on May 29.

Buhari has said he is confident “conventional” attacks will be stopped by November, although suicide and homemade bomb attacks could continue.

Earlier this month, the International Organization for Migration revised upwards its estimate of those internally displaced by the conflict from 1.5 million to more than 2.1 million because of the recent surge in attacks.

The IOM’s head of mission in Nigeria, Enira Krdzalic, said many IDPs living in host communities had yet to receive basic food and shelter, calling for more to be done.

On Wednesday, the charity Medecins Sans Frontieres also appealed for international help after 16 people died and 172 fell ill in a cholera outbreak at three IDP camps in Maiduguri, northeast Nigeria.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.