Clarifications on the 4Ps program

This is with reference to the editorial of The Standard dated June 4, 2015 entitled “A Convenient Tool” which discussed the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program commonly known as the Philippine version of the Conditional Cash Transfer.

True to the program’s name, beneficiaries receive cash grants subject to their compliance to the conditionalities on health and education as set forth in the program. These conditionalities are: school-aged children must be enrolled in schools and have at least 85 percent school attendance; children and pregrant women receive health services as mandated by the Department of Health, and parents attend the monthly Family Development Session (FDS).

Pantawid Pamilya has its own Compliance Verification System that monitors the compliance of our partner-beneficiaries to the conditionalities and is used as basis for computing the amount each household is entitled to receive during pay outs.

Non-compliance to each conditionality results in non-payment of the corresponding cash benefit: non-compliance to the educational conditionalities wil mean beneficiaries will not receive grants amounting to P300 for elementary students and P500 for high school students, while health grants (which include attendance to the FDS) amount to P500.

The program also has a Grievance Redress System (GRS). It is a mechanism where the public may file their complaints, queries and concerns on the program. Complaints may be filed through social networking sites (facebook: tanggapan ng reklamo; twitter:@4psreklamo) or our email address [email protected]

Through the GRS, the program has already removed 15,452 households who were not eligible. Moreover, a total of 15,096 have already waived inclusion in the program.

The P62-billion peso program budget is huge at a glance, but its value spreads to serving 4.4 million households. To better illustrate this, a child enrolled in elementary may receive P13 per day or P22 for a child enrolled in high school. This translates to more than 10 million children who will have better chances of growing up healthy and in school.

Note also that of the total budget, around 90 percent goes to cash grants and the remaining 10 percent is only for operational costs. Moreover, only 38.68 percent of the beneficiaries are from Mindanao. The majority are from Luzon at 40 percent.

We trust that our clarification will have a space in your paper in the spirit of fair and balanced journalism.


Spokesperson Department of Social Welfare and Development

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.